Welcome to the Neighborhood
Howdy, everyone—
I am really looking forward to getting some glimpses into each of your lives and interests. But before we jump the gun and get going on our blogging extravaganza, I think some introductions should be in order. How awkward to go a whole semester of sharing without even a "hello"?
So, howdy part deux.
I’m Ezra Neighbors.
I grew up here in Phoenix, Arizona. A true native (a breed that is becoming more and more common). I am studying Theatre at GCC and will be graduating in May with AAFA. I’m in the process of applying for BFA programs to transfer to, so this will be an awesome time capsule to look back upon in about a years time.
You may be wondering, “Ezra… seriously dude. We get it. You like theatre. Anything else?”
To which I say… No.
Just kidding. I also freaking love to read. In elementary school, we used this program called “Accelerated Reader” to promote literacy. What started as an educational tool became an obsession with hunting for knowledge and a love for the written word. I can’t wholly blame the education system though. I am descended from a long line of book worms.
My grandfather (pictured above reading with his mom, and also pictured writing), sisters, brother, cousins, you name it, all voraciously read anything they can get their hands on. My grandfather would tell us how his dad (my great-grandfather) was a Missourian farmer akin to Huck Finn who never received an education past the 8th grade level. Despite this, he would read dictionaries, the Bible, encyclopedias, anything and everything he could get his hands on. I guess it’s him who has cursed me and my family with a lifelong affliction.
It’s this love for language and drama that I hope to share with you all in this blog— I read scripts daily and I would love to share some of the ones I am reading during my time in this course. With each blog post I hope to review a script for you all and critically analyze it from an actors and dramaturg’s perspective. Heck, maybe from time to time I can switch it up and review film as well. This will be a explorative journey for all of us, and I hope to show you all a glimpse into the work that I love to do!
Have any of you ever read a script before? If yes, which one and what did you think of it? If not, have you seen a live theatre show you really enjoyed? What was it and why?
Catch you all on the next one!
Taking It,
EZ



Hi Ezra! I really enjoyed reading this blog, I am not studying theatre, but I am taking a class to see if I would want to do anything in film, the class is called intro to cinema! I also do love to read, my favorite series Is Harry Potter (so basic I know). I hope my years to come at GCC are as exciting as yours, thank you for posting this blog, I had a great time reading it!
ReplyDeleteThis is captivating and well-written! I love how you connect the world of theatre and literature in your post. I relate to your love for escaping into different worlds through reading and performing. Thank you for sharing such a cool aspect of your life.
ReplyDeleteHi Ezra, reading all about your love of reading is so incredible. Books have always been a world in itself of adventures and information that are like no other. Seeing that even your family themselves enjoy reading and writing is very lovely as well. It amazing to see all of your talents being used to bring out the best in you. From working alongside theater students to build sets, I've seen how talented you all are as well.
ReplyDelete