Hark! A Blog Entry Enters!

 


Welcome, one. Welcome, all. Welcome to all the birds, bees, trees, and frogs. So begins the journey of my first ever blog. Before embarking on this journey for my ENG 101 class, I had some ideas of what a blog could be. My only initially reference point protruding from my deep core memories is the movie, “Julie and Julia” starring the incomparable Meryl Streep and Amy Adams as Julia Child and Julie Powell, an NYC gal who begins a quest to not only finish every recipe in Julia Child’s “Mastering The Art of French Cooking”, but to blog about the experience. 


This will not be that type of blog. 

Besides having a knack for lighting the coldest bowls of cereal on fire, I simple don’t have the budget or patience for mastering the art of French cooking. I have some ideas swirling for what this blog’s “theme” will be, but I’ll save the suspense in order to further the anticipation. Therefore, I set out on a quest for blog knowledge at the request of my instructor. On looking for other blogs for inspiration, I perused a couple VERY well-known websites that not only accomplish the casual/professional blog aesthetic, but one even boasts as a well-known print magazine.

The first “blog” that drew my attention was RollingStone Magazine.


RollingStone is a staple amongst rock ‘n roll lovers as well as beat poets and Hunter S. Thompson junkies (all puns intended). RollingStone is a music, political and pop/counter-culture magazine that not only employs rad photography from rad photographers, but also dives into editorial canons that blur the lines between journalism, narrative fiction, opinion pieces, and industry news reporting,
as shown here.
I hope I can bring some these elements of written storytelling into my blog.

The second blog I took a gander at was The Verge.


Unlike RollingStone, The Verge I had no preconceived notions about or any familiarity with. It is a Tech, Science, and Entertainment blog that reports on a wide array of topics and subject. What immediately stood out to me was the clean-cut aesthetic setup; crisp neon colors pop brightly amongst the black background. The posts are incredibly details and organized, as you can see right from the homepage as well as in this article here 

Looking into a variety of blogs from Julie and Julia,  RollingStone, to The Verge gave me some wonderful inspirations for not only content but styling of my blog. While my blog won’t really be graded on visual aesthetics or stylings, I think they have profound help in organizing and display thought and emotion. I look forward to doing a more in-depth dramaturgical deep dive in my further posts.

Comments